"Eating crappy food isn't a reward — it's a punishment."
— Drew Carey, actor, comedian and game show host
Mexican Bean and Rice Casserole
This recipe gets rave reviews from adults and children. It is an easy way to sneak a few veggies into the picky eaters.
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 c brown rice, cooked in 2.5 cups broth or water
- 1/3 c chopped fresh cilantro
- 1.5 cups salsa
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ c chopped onion
- ½ c frozen corn
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 T coconut oil
Sautee bell pepper, onion, corn and zucchini in coconut oil for 8-12 minutes.
Combine with other ingredients and place in 8x8 or 9x12 glass baking dish.
Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until warmed through. During last 5 minutes of cooking, top with shredded cheese and/or crushed corn chips.
* Omit cilantro
* Add in shredded carrot or kale with other veggies
* Cook beans from dry instead of using canned. 1 can=1.5 cups beans
* For the picky eaters, finely chop the veggies and sautee’ until very soft.